Thursday, May 17, 2012

Minty green thumb

Last year, after my garden was destroyed by what I later found out were fungus gnats, I swore I would never do one again. Nothing more than a few indoor pots of herbs. No more tomatoes, peppers, nothing. I was done. As you can probably guess, I lied. Through my teeth. And here's photographic proof that I cannot be trusted. ;)


Grand overview. I decided to line up everything against the fence this year, where they'll get excellent sun and, I must admit, it will be far easier for me to manage. I used to keep the containers on the patio; however, the pots then had to be moved around and relocated every time we wanted to use the patio. I can't believe I didn't do this years ago. 


This is my sage and oregano. I planted the sage in the ground our first summer here, nine years ago, but it didn't take very well. Last year I uprooted it and gave it a better home and it's thriving. It was actually three times the size before I cut it back. The oregano was planted last year to keep it company and it's coming in really well.


Empty pots. Fascinating, no? No, I know. The yellow and red pots are Vidrines Midget Cowhorn okra, which is supposed to grow about only about three feet but produces pods that can reach 15-in in length. The blue bucket is Dixie Speckled Butterpea, which is a lima bean. I'm really excited about growing both of these. I love okra and lima beans and, if I get lucky and get a bumper crop, they'll both keep really well in the freezer.


The empty blue bucket with the bag of soil is for my lettuce seeds, which should be arriving any day now from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I forgot to order them earlier but there is still plenty of time as it's only May.  The yellow and red buckets have six pepper plants of indeterminate variety. Because I forgot to label them. Which adds a note of intrigue, don't you think? However, if I am lucky, they should be Santa Fe Grande; Jimmy Nardello Italian; Corne de Chevre; Tequila Sunrise; and California Wonder. I also have some seeds indoors that I'm hoping to add to the collection.


Three tomatoes, Uncle Mark Bagby; Tonadoes des Conores; and a striped, whose name escapes me at the moment. Also sweet basil, cinnamon basil, and cilantro.


Left to right, my nine-year-old mint; Parisienne carrot seeds; and a big dish of German thyme; rosemary; and Texas tarragon. 


Citrus mint.


Spearmint.

Roses. Which I didn't plant but they're coming in so nicely I wanted to share. And, if you look closely, Buddha up to your left, under the tree. 


6 comments:

Andrew's Mom said...

Lovely post! I only have a few herbs - but when we move - I plan on doing some serious gardening---it's on my bucket list.

Jenni said...

Well, look at you go! We tried containers last year, but we ended up just feeding the squirrels. We're taking a total break from veggie gardening this year--we have perennial herbs sprinkled in different spots around the house, but that's it. I hope all your keen items Grow and Grow! Love to Buddha:)

Farmgirl Gourmet said...

Looks awesome. You have a wide variety and I can't wait to see progress pics.

Lisa said...

@Andrew's Mom: Thanks! This is the smallest one yet that I've done. Fingers crossed!

@Jenni: Ah, yes, the squirrels. We have rabbits, too, and a groundhog. Should be interesting. :)

@Farmgirl Gourmet: I always do the same herbs, toms, and peps, and try something new just to see if it works. The okra and limas are my newbies this year. If they actually work I'll be over the moon. :)

Elle said...

Lovely! Isn't it funny when you find a better way to do something, and you wonder why you didn't think of it before?

I can't wait to start our garden, though we're off to a bad start already. All the seedlings we planted have croaked and we need to start over. Bummer!

Rebecca Subbiah said...

awesome and think of all those cool tomatoes you will get love the roses too