Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two quirky girls and a pie

The week before Memorial Day, my local buddy Laura Freed and I were bouncing around ideas about how to include bacon in a dessert, particularly pie.  After very little bouncing (we can justify including bacon in almost anything) we decided that pecan pie would be the pie of choice.  The syrupy sweet filling and inherent butteriness of the pecans would play very nicely with the salty smokiness of the bacon.  But where to put the bacon?  It would be overwhelmed in the filling and we wanted it to be separate, not just a blended ingredient.

We decided it should go in the crust.  And behold, the Pecan Pie w/Bacon Crust was born.  (Yeah, we didn't give it a fancy name.  I mean, really, it's all about the bacon, anyway.)

The pie was made from scratch, using homemade pie dough as well.  Oscar Mayer was the bacon of choice.

I knew going in that I'd have to adjust the pie dough recipe to allow for the fat from the bacon.  I ended up using 2 1/2 cups flour, 8 Tbsp Crisco, 1/3 cup ice water, and added 5 slices of cooked, undrained bacon.  Undrained meaning I just took it from the baking sheet after it cooled and plopped it into the fridge.  This recipe was only tested this once and it worked out pretty well; however, I have a feeling it will need some tweaking should I attempt this again.  Should you want to try this, I make no guarantees it will work for you.  It will all depend on your particular ingredients; the stars aligned for me that day.  :)



Here is the finished dough:


I used the standard recipe found on the bottle of dark Karo syrup, adding a few tablespoons of bourbon to the batter.  Because I love bourbon.  And pecan pie.  And bacon.  And what could be better than all three together?  Particularly in a pie.

And here is what they morphed into:



I served this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream from Tanner's, a local dairy farm that makes out-of-this-world ice cream.  And this pie deserved it.

The result?  A very good pie.  The filling was as it should be, and the addition of the bourbon was spiky enough without being overwhelming.  The crust tasted very much like a savory scone, and the bacon taste was obvious without being overpowering.  It all worked very well together, salty, sweet, smoky, and the ice cream actually cut through the richness of the dessert nicely.

I enjoyed making this pie and but the most fun was planning the whole concoction with Laura.  So I think we can officially call this Quirky Pecan Pie and not be so damn literal with the name.  :)

12 comments:

Elle said...

Genius! Of course, pecan pie is the perfect choice for the addition of bacon. Now you have my mind wandering as to where else it could go-I mean, what other kind of pie/bar...

Looks incredible!

Foodie Fictionista said...

Lisa- you gave me sayyid too much credit! This was all you, girl! And you deserve all the accolades! It looks and sounds incredible. I'm sure even the pigs would be proud!!!

Tangled Noodle said...

I MUST have a slice!! I totally agree with Elle - pecan pie is the perfect complement for bacon. It somehow makes me think of how maple syrup and melted butter from pancakes ooze over to the bacon or sausages on a breakfast plate. Love that you put it in the crust - like bacon biscuits. I am so hungry now...

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter said...

oh wow what a fun pie to make and very creative with the bacon

Bridget said...

Alas, though it looks beautiful, I could not eat it with bacon in it. So please feel free to make mine without bacon ... and you have my address ... ;-)

Amy K. said...

i'm not much of a baker, but i have to try this bacon crust. this pie sounds so goooooood....

Katherine R. said...

Would Turkey Bacon work? Trying to watch out for sodium....

Lisa said...

Thank you all for the great feedback! Please let me know if you try this and how it works.

Katherine, I can't see why it wouldn't work with turkey bacon. As it's lower in fat, you may even be able to use your regular pie crust recipe without having to decrease the fat. It may also help to chop the bacon by hand instead of in the food processor before mixing it into the flour as I find it doesn't chop as nicely mechanically as regular pork bacon. Good luck!

The Caked Crusader said...

I love the last photo with the syrup oozing onto the plate

Marnely Rodriguez said...

seriously, you are my new best friend. bacon in the crust? i love you.

Katherine R. said...

Ok, the turkey bacon DOES work and I've been elevated to a whole new realm of deliciousness!

Kate | Food Babbles said...

I love this pie! I NEED THIS PIE!! Like right now, I want it right this very second. Love.